[TowerTalk] I think K7NV should be ashamed of this.

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] I think K7NV should be ashamed of this.
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:33:47 -0600
YES, I would like to get back to towers and antennas--but one final
comment that I conveyed (poorly) to Kurt in a private email.

The ONE pop-up ad that jittered seemed to resonate with me
in the same way that strobe lights have been noted to cause
epileptic seizures in some.  I literally had a hard time reading the
text with that specific ad in my peripheral vision.  Maybe it was
more complex than that and had something to do with a beat
note between the jitter freq and my monitor refresh rate--but whatever
it was, the attention--getting device made me run away as fast as
I could--never even noting whose ad it was.  Normally I note
the ad source so that I can stay away from them--but in this
case this thing was so disruptive that I really had a hard time
reading anything on the page.  So if it was a more complex
scenario maybe the only adversely affected people were those
who have a susceptibility to that particular jitter frequency or the
combination of the jitter freq and the monitor refresh rate or some
such.

I don't think anyone meant to impugn Kurt--only convey that the
ad was not only a distraction but mentally disruptive (at least to me
and apparently to some others).  Something that should be conveyed
to the ad designer or web site author.  And not something that Kurt
has any control over.

73--John W0UN

---