Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding, Lightning & corona discharge
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:39:57 -0400
At 09:03 AM 7/29/2004, Tom Rauch wrote:
A single ground wire from the shunt protection is clamped to
the power line ground.

This is the national code.

Illustrative of the difficulties of doing the single-point ground thing properly with an old house, our telephone and cable TV connections are 180 degrees around the house from the AC power entrance, grounded to a rod at that point, so there is undoubtedly a fair amount of resistance between the two grounds. Just to further complicate things, our telephones are in parallel to the telco box rather than in series.

I would have to trench in a perimeter ground, per Polyphaser recommendations, before anything else would begin to make sense.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at