Re: [TowerTalk] CQ article error(?)

To: garyschafer@comcast.net, Bill Aycock <baycock@direcway.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CQ article error(?)
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:50:00 -0700
At 10:09 AM 10/7/2005, Gary Schafer wrote:

> > I disagree- the SPG and household wiring are inseparable because all the
> > conductors in the house are related to ground by the neutral and safety
> > ground wires.
>
>No they are not! Neutral and safety ground are two separate and distinct
>circuits. They are only common at the main disconnect in the house. The
>purpose of them being separate is so no neutral current ever flows on
>the ground wire.

More to the point.. the neutral conductor should be considered as a power
conductor (i.e. the same as the hot). It is NOT part of the grounding
system in any way.

Somewhere in the system you need to provide a ground reference between
earth ground (that upon which the potential shock victim stands) and the
power line conductors, mostly to limit the maximum differential voltage and
to provide a path for capacitively coupled currents. It's also useful
because it reduces the shock hazard for certain two prong plug devices
(i.e. light bulbs) because they hook the more easily touched part to the
neutral.. it also makes it possible to use single pole switches without
creating a huge safety hazard.

But, there should be ONE and only ONE interconnection, otherwise, the
grounding system (which is there for safety) carries load current and that
is just plain old bad.