Re: [TowerTalk] Crank Up towers

To: 'Kelly Johnson' <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>,Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank Up towers
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:09:39 -0800
I happen to like extendable towers and at my past several homes have only
installed those, not any guyed towers.

I don't like the "Hazer" stuff, too much trouble to disconnect and reconnect
guys on the way down and up.  I don't have much property for the guys,
anyway.  Extendable towers are slim and occupy less yard space yet remain
highly serviceable and if you have to climb one, you don't have to climb
very far (since you can only safely climb one when it's fully retracted
anyway).  As I get older, this is becoming a better feature.

Easier to permit in some places, too.  You can extend a 70' tower to only
50' and stop it there, call for inspection and say it's a 50 foot tower (if
that's the ordinance limit).  Nobody questions it.  After the inspector
leaves, it's a taller 50' tower.

Nice being able to retract not only for service, but in high winds also.
Easier to sleep at night knowing my antennas are sitting at 25' with all
sections nested.  Tower can probably take a 150 mph wind that way, and the
antennas themselves would blow apart before the tower failed in any way.

WB2WIK/6