Re: [TowerTalk] Crank Up towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank Up towers
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:56:04 -0600
Ed,

I concur... my wife had never seen the Mosley PRO-67b anywhere other than 90
feet in the air... and later in a crumpled heap after the tornado took my tower
down...

So when I bought a HyGain TH-11DX and was putting it together in the side yard,
she commented on how much "bigger" this antenna was compared to what I had
before. I assured her this antenna was actually a little smaller and it would
not seem so large when it was up on the new tower.

On a slightly different note, I am always puzzled when "the neighbors" complain
that a 50 foot tower is more acceptable than a 100 foot tower. Logic would
dictate the further away the antenna is, the less noticeable it will be. And
the less likely for any RF induced interference to their dime-store stereos,
TV's, and phones.

Tower legislation should be written for "recommended minimum height", not an
arbitrary maximum height limitation. My biased personal opinion is 'people most
vocal against high towers are the ones afraid of getting past the second rung
on their step ladders.'

73 de Bob - K0RC

P.S. Thanks everyone for the insight regarding crank up towers. As I age, the
thought of installing a crank up was gaining momentum in my head. I
contemplated selling my second 90 foot self supporting tower (not yet
installed) and going with a motorized support. I'm sticking with my original
plan!

Message: 1