Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up towers

To: jacobsen_5@msn.com, g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up towers
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:56:49 +0100 (CET)
Jake said:
>So, tell us Peter, would that be of the "Hollow state" side of the Low Mu
>followers???
Inquiring minds want to know<

Jake, ' Solid state' provides a living for the XYL and myself - she teaches
people how to use her company's software to design 'bit freak' (i.e. digital)
integrated circuits. I do (these days) advanced systems design on ICs and
systems for such applications as radios in pacemakers, swallowable endoscopes,
hearing aids, pulse oximeters and the like. In this field, QRO is 1 milliwatt,
and a high antenna gain is -10dBi. I suppose it's a bit like prostitution,
politics or the law  - it pays the bills but it's hardly respectable.

So us 'Low Mu' cathode followers are strictly Hollow State at home. If it don't
glow, it don't go! Even these new fangled ceramic tubes are a bit
suspect......you can't necessarily see them glow. My father in law worked on
transmitters with 100kW demountable (continuously pumped) tubes, so it is
something in the family. I rather fancy using some of the old tubes with fused
silica envelopes...if it needs less than 2kV, it's not worth having.

season's greetings

73

Peter G3RZP