Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Installation

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Installation
From: DMartin560@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:51:20 EDT

I read this post a few days ago and if I remember/understood it correctly, he
wants to avoid buying a short base for concrete and also doesn't want to set
a full section in concrete for when he moves he will have to saw the section
off and loose the tower in the concrete.

The way I understand he wants to use the 7ft "T" posts as a method to anchor
the tower base.  With 3ft in the concrete and 4ft out, presumably set in an
arrangement just outside the tower legs and clamp the tower legs to the T posts.

I don't remember any guying mentioned as he only had 20 or 30 feet of tower.

Anyway it's not a way to put up a tower.

Dwayne - KG4ADM

In a message dated 8/11/2007 7:59:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Right now all I have are 7' "T" posts (they are used for  fencing
normally) and was thinking about using three of them embedded  in
the concrete with about 4 feet sticking up out of the concrete and tying  the
tower legs off to them, sort of using the "T" posts as
base  anchors.

You mean they'll be standing  vertically? In that case, absolutely not. They
don't have any appreciable  strength and will be the weak link in the system.

Round pipes in general are not  suitable unless they're 6" well casing or
something similarly brute. A  much better choice of material is H-beam with
6" or so flanges. For tall tower  use, there is usually a flat plate welded
on
the bottom at a right angle to  the tower to provide more material surface
area. And it doesn't hurt to  back-guy the thing.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH