Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"

To: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:47:40 -0400
With respect  (seriously) as a old student of Philosophy of Science
(Epistemology) I do not believe that Kelvin meant it quite as literal
you suggest -  but I like the quote and its application here.  Your use
of this bit, and your argument seems to be that the modeling program
is much more reliable for a given case than real life experimentation
in that case and that it is is not useful or practical or worthwhile to
actually test the antenna design, but just see what the modeling
program says.

So, I am sure there are others who would take a different academic
turn at t his juncture, and suggest the modeling is a close approximation
of reality, but one must, in the end, trust the empirical findings from
actual experimentation and real deployment of the antenna (i.e., take
actual measurements) to be sure it works as advertised in the modeling
program.    (Of course... we can get into quite valid debates over
whether or not we can trust the measuring equipment, methods, etc.)

But I do get your point and can see that you have a reasonable basis
for placing so much faith in the modeling software - especially as you or
the other guy was suggesting, it can save you lots of time, effort and
cost by modeling first before ever building anything, as I suppose the
modeling software could/might rule out a particular design from the
outset for some reason that is not immediately intuitively obvious.

Great stuff.   I appreciate you did not take my reply question as picking
a fight or being critical.  It is just that my own background makes me
somewhat more skeptical of the reliability of these programs, while
you have another take based on your background.

Happy trails and 743.  ========  K8JHR  ===========