Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:13:05 +0100
K8JHR,

The Kelvin quote was slightly "tongue in cheek", but I think his appeal
for "numeracy" has some value.

I wasn't arguing that modelling is better than empirical measurement,
but that modelling is probably better than innumerate answers. It is
certainly a useful "first step" in developing a new antenna, and it has
saved me a lot of shoe leather :)

One other point -  it seems to me that the same "unknowns" in an
antenna's environment which might make modelling untrustworthy, might
equally make a fellow Ham's practical experiences irrelevant. In other
words "just because it works for him doesn't mean it will work for me".

73,
Steve G3TXQ