Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@longlines.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:04:09 -0600
Wait a minute here. If the MANUFACTURER  says to guy it, then it
isn't a self-supporting tower. If the MANUFACTURER says don't guy it
then it is self-supporting. Rohn 25 & 45 have a rating for
self-supporting installations too, but exceed those limits & they are
guyed towers. Sounds like the same thing from Delhi.

At 04:47 PM 11/3/2008, ve4xt@mts.net wrote:
>It's Delhi, and it's because they use the same product in both their
>guyed and self-supporting
>applications. It simplifies production, I'd say.
>
>Since the Delhi towers were designed to be part of a guyed
>installation, and since the sections could
>support a large number of sections above them (I think Delhi
>catalogs reference heights to 180 feet),
>adding guys to otherwise self-supporting Delhi towers should not be an issue.
>
>I do not believe that constitutes a blanket statement that ALL
>self-supporting towers can accept guys,
>however.
>
>73 kelly
>ve4xt
>

> > From: K7LXC@aol.com
> > Date: 2008/11/03 Mon PM 04:18:41 CST
> > To: towertalk@contesting.com,  ve5ra@sasktel.net
> > Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
> >

> > In a message dated 11/3/2008 12:45:53 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> > towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
> >
> > >  This subject has been debated before.  Your analysis of  self-supporting
> > towers and guying is another example of  misinformation!  Let me suggest
> > you obtain the facts next time you  post or other wise state that it is
> > your opinion.  The company that  manufactures the self-supporting towers
> > I use, RECOMMENDS guying ...  fact!
> >
> >     Okay, I'll bite. Who is the manufacturer -  Trylon? Delhi? How about a
> > reference? I've never seen a US tower manufacturer  say to guy a
> self-supporting
> > tower so maybe it's a Canadian thing. And I have  seen guyed Delhi towers.
> > (Delhi towers are exact copies of the Rohn BX line  that includes straight
> > sections so you can wind up with a beefy  self-supporting/guyed tower.)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steve     K7LXC
> > TOWER TECH
> >

> > **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel.  Check out
> Today's Hot
> > 5 Travel Deals!
> > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?
>redir=http://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.