Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter
From: Steve Maki <StevesLists1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:55:28 -0500
James,

OTOH, some things are just...obvious. Otherwise we would feel compelled
to pay for new engineering every time we added a dipole to our tower,
because the manufacturer didn't specifically say that it's OK.

I've got no problem with your general stance. It's just that in this
particular case (guying self support towers), there is no evidence or
math to support the assertion (that there is serious risk of weakening
the structure), and in fact, there is plenty of evidence to support the
opposite. Numbers have been run here, and simple thought experiments can
convince.

Keep in mind that peak loading on a tower happens in strong winds. The
leg forces on a self supporter in strong winds dwarf the straight
downward force caused by guy wires.

Basically the idea is that the narrower the face width at the bottom of
the tower (as a ratio of height/base width), the more benefit to guys.
As the tower gets very wide at the bottom, you reach a point where guys
have no benefit.

Steve K8LX