Re: [TowerTalk] Electric Drill to Winch Adapter Question

To: "chas" <chasm@texas.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Electric Drill to Winch Adapter Question
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:21:25 -0700 (PDT)
chas wrote:
> as stated, if you are going to pay 300$US+ for a power crank, you
> might as well get a tower base mounted winch with a 25' remote so that
> you can step back and watch the attachments as you raise or lower the
> tower.  my opinion.  ymmv.

If you read the manuals for those 12VDC "jeep" winches, you see that
they are designed for very low duty cycles, which is the idea
for getting your jeep out of a hole.  They can't maintain high
torque for extended periods for getting a tower raised.  In fact,
heating is the major problem with anything I have tried in terms
of drills.  How many amps or horsepower or even torque it is rated
at means nothing without a duty cycle spec.  Even Milwaukee drills
at designed to drill a hole and then rest.  They too will overheat
if run continuously.

Rick N6RK