Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp

To: "'mrlogs'" <mrlogs@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:49:36 -0700
It depends on what you choose to break should the turning force on the mast
exceed the strength of the weakest element.  Something has to be the first
thing to "give".  What would you like that to be?  What are the consequences
of the possible failures you might observe?

In my case, the mast slips in the jaws of the rotator clamp in high winds.
The rotator clamp hasn't yet shattered or come loose at the rotator.  I have
a fair amount of mast sticking out above the thrust bearing. If the clamp
failed completely and ceased to restrain the bottom of the mast, I'd have a
very strong bending force above the thrust bearing.  I would prefer that the
clamp slip rather than risk the total failure of the clamp.

Dick, K6KR