Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:01:23 -0400
1.    Purchase a rotator sized for what you want it to do, or conversely
if you have a rotator, stay within its ratings/capabilities.
2.    It matters not, how high or how large the load if you adhere to #1
3.   As other experienced tower pros have said, "Follow the prime
directive". IOW follow the instructions. (If it says "pin", then pin, if
it says "don't pin" then don't pin.

Follow these three simple rules and you will minimize failures. Just
remember all equipment is subject to failure

I've not found any of the Ham series, or Hygain rotators that are
capable of turning and holding my array on a windy day.  IOW I'd not use
any rotator that uses spur gears with what I have up. I went through two
HDR 300s in less than 3 weeks and had to use a Ham V as a "place holder"
while waiting for my new "worm drive" rotator.    The Ham V was
demolished physically and it was just clamped.  The array wind milled
and ruined the pigtails (rotator loops), but the antennas were
unharmed.  However I think all of these are good rotators when used
within their capabilities.  The only thing about them I don't like is
the use of a wedge brake.

For larger antennas there are worm drive rotators that don't cost all
that much more than the Tail Twister, or big Yaesu.  The "big stuff"
will invariably end up on a custom built rotator.

73

Roger (K8RI)