Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp

To: towertalk@contesting.com, mrlogs@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pinning my mast in rotator clamp
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:57:21 EDT

In a message dated 3/11/2009 6:45:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>   My Yaesu G-1000DXA manual say's to drill thru the mast  & put a bolt thru
the rotator & mast to keep it (the mast) from  turning in the clamp. I was
told to do a survey here & get everyone's  input on doing this as it might be a
bad idea..

    Well, without being pinned, it would probably  move harmlessly out of
alignment. When you pin a mast to a rotator you're  transferring the mast
torque
directly to the rotator and the next weak point  in the system; usually gears.

    Since Yaesu gave you a long bolt with the rotator  and the manual says to
do it, I'd follow the LXC Prime Directive to "DO what  the manufacturer says."

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH