Re: [TowerTalk] Shipping Companies

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shipping Companies
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 23:21:58 -0500

On 12/2/2010 5:55 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/2/2010 12:01:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
>>   I am in the process of purchasing the HDX589MDPL from  K0FF. I will be
> picking it up in MO in March. I was wondering what the best  method of
> transportation would be to get it from Missouri to California.  Ray, N6RV,
> mentioned I should ask here to see if there is a reasonable  shipping
> company. Skip, KJ6Y, said I could use a large U Haul flatbed. I  figure
> about
> two days travel.
>

>      Hauling it yourself can pencil out. Several years  ago I moved the same
> type tower from San Jose, CA, to the Seattle area. A  trucking company
> quoted me about $2k - I rented a flatbed truck and did it for  about 1/2 that.
>
>      There's a reason why UST uses a trucking company  that picks it up at
> the factory and delivers it directly to the customer - too  much handling and
> damage otherwise. If you consign it to a shipping company,  there's that
> damage potential.
>
>      The trick is that you need handling on both ends  - I think the danged
> things weighs about 2000 lbs. (it might be 3000# - it was  a bunch of years
> ago) - so you'll need a backhoe, wrecker, crane or something  similar.
> Driving it's easy - it's the loading and unloading that's the crux.
Here?
I can rig something for unloading, (I have a lot of steel, a couple of
4000# engine hoists, and two 4 ton cable hoists) but getting something
heavy across the yard and around behind the shop is a real challenge.
It'd take one of those fork lifts with the large pneumatic tires. I'd
have to do it in the winter when the ground is frozen and wait till
spring to install.
One of the old farm wagon frames would be ideal for that and might even
work in the summer, but certainly not in the spring.

It took two years to get rid of all the ruts the last time I had a truck
(Hy-Ranger) out there, but I'd sure like to replace that 25G with a good
crank up without spending a fortune.

73

Roger (K8RI)