Re: [TowerTalk] Triex WT51

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Triex WT51
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:04:56 -0700 (PDT)
Kathy:
I have a W51 and have helped take a couple down.  As long as you remove the
antenna and rotor beforehand you're ok.  Don't need any extra weight on the top.

The ones I helped take down we had 7-10 people there, usually hams  (my XYL
WY5H
Cheryl and I always provided lunch, which was usually a steak dinner after the
tower was up or down).  We first took everything off the W51, antenna and rotor
and anything else.  Then we tied a large  and I mean LARGE diameter and long
piece of rope (usually something the size of a large boat hawser) to the top
(make sure the tower is lowered fully).  Then we took the top bolts of the base
(since the base is in a triangle shape) loose and had the rope securely
fastened
to the top.  We kept two of the bottom set of bolts (one on each side) attached
but loosened so we could lower the tower and still have it attached and not
move
or slip from the base.  Just lower it slowly and shouldn't be a problem.
Putting it up is the same in reverse, execpt we had a ladder under the top to
hold the tower as we pulled it up.  We moved the ladder towards the base as we
raised it, just in case.

Tom, WW5L