Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:18:03 -0700
On 6/13/13 7:12 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
Lubricating the cable does go against the K7LXC prime directive. US towers
recommends replacing the cable every three years.

Most wire rope is lubricated during manufacturing. Lubrication does two
things:

Reduces friction as the individual wires move over each other.

Provides corrosion protection and lubrication in the core and inside wires
and on the exterior surfaces.

If I owned a crank-up tower I would keep the cables lubricated and only
change them if there was noticeable corrosion or broken strands .

Essentially, you're saying, you could either

do what the mfr recommends: replace every 3 years, in which lube is a non-issue, because it comes lubed and presumably lasts three years

OR

don't replace cables and replace the lube

I'm sure that the mfr has their reasons for their recommendation, and they may not necessarily be "minimum operating cost for buyer".

It's kind of like oil change schedules in cars. Synthetic oils last essentially forever, but dealers make a lot of money doing oil changes (since nothing else breaks these days)