Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:59:36 -0700
Steve,

I am with you on this.  Pre lube is more of a corrosion/rust inhibiter than a
lubricant.  Its value lies in the fact that it wicks into the inner
strands and will prevent rusting if applied on a regular schedule.  It doesnt
leave an oily film on the outside of the cable.
This is the stuff to use and not grease or oil which leave the outside of the
cables oily and they will collect dust and dirt like crazy, not good at all,
plus their penetration into the inner strands is minimal.  The way I look at it
do not apply Pre Lube  and replace your cables in 5 to 6 years max.  (I have
done
this twice on my towers) or regularly maintain your cable with a Pre Lube
treatment and go for a long, long, time.  I have 12 years on my HDX589 cables
using Pre Lube
and still no signs of rust.  A local ham friend, KD6T, has over 20 years on his
tower cables using Pre lube and they show no rusting.

Bob
K6UJ