Re: [TowerTalk] Off Topic: ISP on your ham tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Topic: ISP on your ham tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:59:49 -0700
On 7/16/13 9:27 PM, K8RI wrote:
On 7/16/2013 10:01 PM, Mike & Becca Krzystyniak wrote:
   Slightly off topic but I'm looking for any W5 (texas ham) that
might be
able to share info on placing an ISP on their ham tower?
   I am looking at a rural QTH location that does not even have dial
up and
Cellular coverage is poor.

   Please contact me off list.  Thanks in advance.

I'd like to see some answers too, as it's not permitted here in this
area of Michigan.

For one thing, it makes your tower no longer "amateur radio", but a "antenna mounting structure for commercial purposes". All the special exemptions (e.g. motivated by PRB-1) for amateur radio aren't necessarily applicable.

I suspect that a LOT depends on the local authorities and how they decide to interpret the rules and regulations in your area.