Re: [TowerTalk] Off Topic: ISP on your ham tower

To: Mike & Becca Krzystyniak <k9mk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Off Topic: ISP on your ham tower
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:42:17 -0700
There are point to point 802.11 high power (like 1 watt) links that if connected to a high gain dish have line of sight ranges that well exceed 10 miles. Check EnGenius, but there are others for under $100 per transceiver. So, you need a friend with a tower (or on a high rise) with good internet access who will share their isp access.

I've also provided a spot for a 10' section of Rohn 25 on two different occasions to 802.11 "isp's" that provide access to many of my neighbors for a monthly fee. They have line of sight over 50 miles across the entire Bay Area from my elevation of 1500' asl and have a backbone 802 link to their fiber 4 miles away. So, you might find a local provider in that business. The only other choice around my (former) QTH is Hughes satellite. Too far for DSL and too sparse for cable. When I used satellite 15 years ago it didn't work as well as ISDN. The earth-satellite-earth latency is a killer. My current deal is to get two free 8Mb bandwidth connects for the tower site and power (about 100w).

If you let an ISP use your ham tower, it probably converts it to comercial use, but your own private link to your equipment at an access point wouldn't be commercial use IMO. My 10 footer hardly rates as a "tower" since a tall fencepost would do equally well at my site. The antennas just need to clear the horses and cows.

btw the Bay Area site, a 50 acre ranch with awesome views and radio horizon is for sale. Contact me off list.

Grant KZ1W