Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting Flat Copper to 5/8" Ground Rod

To: "'Mark Robinson'" <markrob@mindspring.com>, "'Ray Benny'" <rayn6vr@cableone.net>, "'TowerTalk'" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting Flat Copper to 5/8" Ground Rod
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 21:26:13 -0500
I do the following

1. Bring the end of the copper strap around the ground rod so that you have
about 6" or so of overlap at the end;
2. Drill a 3/8' hole thru both pieces of the strap about 1/2' or so from the
rod;
3. Use a 3/8 bolt, nut, lock washer, and flat washers and tighten the
assembly.  A hex head bolt helps with the tightening but is not essential;
4.  Usually I cut off part of one side of the flat washers so there is a
smooth face up close to the rod.  What you want to do is to pinch the copper
strap very tightly as it comes around the ground rod;
5.  I usually put some conductive paste between the strap and the ground rod
but, again, this is not essential.
6.  A bonus is that you have a piece of strap sticking out and you can use
this to bolt any other items to that need to be grounded.

The result is a good extremely tight bond between rod and strap and it is
very inexpensive.  I have done this for years and have never had a problem.
If you do it right the system will last for a long time.

1138 Waters Edge Circle, Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (Office) - 318-393-3289 (Cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics
-------------- EnCase Certified Examiner ---------------