Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting Flat Copper to 5/8" Ground Rod

To: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connecting Flat Copper to 5/8" Ground Rod
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 20:57:23 -0700
Kirk,

There were a several of ways mentioned. Here is a brief summary:

1. Silver solder the copper sheet to the ground rod. Must use a high temp
flame source such as MAPGAS or acetylene.

2. Use a "U" bolt type copper grounding connector, drill holes into the
copper strap for the bolts and compress the copper around the ground rod.

3. A combination of "U" bolt type copper grounding connector and
ERICO/Cadwell exothermic welds when attaching copper strap and heavy copper
wire.

4. There are several commercial companies that make clamps to do this.

I will try #2 first and if I don't like how it works, I may will try the
silver solder method.

For clamping the method, use a copper base paste between the copper strap
and ground rod.

There may have been other methods, but these were the ones that seem
feasible.

73,

Ray,
N6VR