Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 00:36:39 -0500
On 1/2/2014 11:42 PM, EZ Rhino wrote:
Flux core for outdoors (read: wind), gas in the shop.  Don't try to
oxy/acetylene weld it as the heat is much greater than a quick BZZT! tack from
a MIG gun.
I didn't think of out doors as I normally do the welding in the shop, although I did do the guy anchor braces outside.

I use either stick, or build a small, 3 sided tent out of what ever is handy. Nothing really efficient, just enough for fairly calm conditions at the weld. Some days (middle of the day and hotter than blazes with not a draft!<:-)) I do turn up the cover gas flow. You do not want the tent tight as you want air to breathe and in a tight tent the cover gas could easily replace the oxygen.

Basically you want just enough wind break that a little extra cover gas will keep the weld from sputtering and throwing material. It becomes evident in a hurry if you don't have enough cover gas.<:-)) Stick pretty much eliminates that problem.

As cover gas is usually a mix of Ar and CO2, you don't want to do that down in a hole.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

---
is active.