Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 19:42:41 -0500
On 1/2/2014 6:19 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:

Can anyone refer me to a Dummy's guide to welding rebar?

1.  I have heard that I have to use special weldable rebar.
What do I ask for?  I'm assuming that the common rebar
at Home Depot, etc is not it.

That depends on your view of how strong the rebar in a tower foundation
really needs to be.

That's a good question, isn't it?

I know of many concrete cubes (roughly) serving as self support foundations for towers and satellite dishes that a "friend" installed decades ago without any re-rod cages, and none of them (to his knowledge) has split.

My friend became much more careful later on, but he always wondered about how critical it is in big blocks of concrete.

At any rate, I'm guessing that agonizing over tack welding the cage together (in a ham install) might be over thinking a bit.

-Steve K8LX