Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tack welding rebar, need howto
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:34:03 -0700

Well, my point with the cheap stuff is that you don't really know what you're welding to. It might be part cast iron from an old engine block for all I know, and that doesn't weld well at all. You wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if you had a good joint or not. I used a LOT of 60,000 PSI rebar when I built my house (ICF walls and 4,500 sq ft of slab) and I was surprised how much variation there was in brittleness when I bent it even for the supposedly good stuff.

But no, I'm not really hung up on the strength of the steel itself. All of it is stronger in tension than the concrete is, and if I'm in doubt I just use more of it. ;) I only mentioned it because I thought I saw someone earlier in the thread question whether a welded cage was needed for strength.

73,
Dave   AB7E