Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Layout Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Layout Problem
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 09:55:10 -0400
Personally, I use my beverages extensively on 40 - 160M and the 200 ft of
low loss cable would be really important.

Also, not sure if you have ever tried this experiment:  Preamp at the radio
(mine is 20dB for 160 - 20M), 200 ft of RG213 vs 200 ft of LDF4 to a long
beverage (mine is 2 x 1000ft terminated to EU).  It's a game changing
difference on noise floor and a little of an add on signal strength.  Most
people have the pre-amp off and are satisfied that they hear some noise
floor and therefore the loss doesn't matter.  But kick I a preamp and you
have often over half of than in noise floor - but I have found that much of
what you are hearing is the cable, not the beverage itself - if the
conditions are not super noisy (like summertime).

Try it.  You might be surprised.

73

Ed  N1UR