[TowerTalk] FW: Beverage Layout Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Beverage Layout Problem
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 21:57:00 -0500
In the interest of sharing - poor signal strength issues with Beverages are
most likely attributable to the balun and/or feed system rather than feed
line losses.   Low SWR is not an indication of high transformer efficiency.
I have found through trial & error that baluns with low efficiency at the
frequency of interest will really kill the signal strength.

It is also important to eliminate the possibility of the feed line acting as
a BOG (Beverage-on-ground) antenna which can significantly degrade the
antennas performance.  IMHO, best to wind Beverage baluns as
autotransformers (input windings separate from output windings) instead of
feedline transformers and ONLY ground the feed line at the station side
(grounding the coax shield at the antenna creates the BOG.  Also if the
antenna is in an area with poor ground conductivity, be sure the antenna RF
ground is adequate - on both ends (may need some radials in addition to the
ground rod).

With respect to the noise/loss question, in general, the ability to receive
is all about S/N ratio.  AGC in the receiver compensates (to some limit of
course) for low level signals.  The noise is there all along - but when
there is significant signal loss then S/N is significantly decreased, AGC
kicks up, and we begin to hear that noise that would otherwise be buried
(well down) in the presence stronger signals....

Hope this info is of use.

Matt
KM5VI