Re: [TowerTalk] UV resistant wire ties

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UV resistant wire ties
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 19:05:23 -0400
On 5/30/2014 11:29 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

On 5/30/2014 8:15 AM, Steve London wrote:

Does any one have the brand and product number of a UV resistant wire
tie, proven to last many years ?

In these days of contract manufacturing, there is
no assurance of consistency in formulation.
By the time something has proven to last 10 years,
it is also unlikely to be made on the same production
line.

My wife purchased two batches of large storage containers with folding, interlocking tops. Probably 6 or 7 gallon capacity. These are used indoors/my shop only. One batch is fine, the second has already lost its plasticizers. They break easily, just moving them. Grab by an end or side and it'll break loose. They are turning out to be useless for what we bought them for. I don't think they'd be useful for much anywhere.

BTW the shop is heated and air conditioned. It doesn't go below 60 F in the winter and above 80 F in the summer and these have lasted little more than 2 years.

For example, I have 30 year old plastic storage boxes
stored outside in the sun that are still going strong.

Likewise I have smaller boxes (Tupperware) that hold 6 or 8 tubes of Silastic RTV (Bathtub calk and industrial sealers.) that are over 20 years old. It's a great way to store volatile glue, liquid electrical tape containers and tubes of RTV. I have a couple of tube of the expensive stuff that are over 20 years old and still good. The working life and characteristics seem to be unaffected. The acid smelling RTVs use the moisture in the air to cure. Keep the moisture away and they last, or I should say, are still good for...at least 20 years.

The plastic storage boxes on the market now quickly lose their plasticizer, become brittle, and fall apart under any stress.
I read news reports about vendors like Rubbermaid closing
plants, etc.

"They don't make 'em like they used to".

They don't make 'em where they used to either. A lot of that stuff is contracted like Sears tools. I purchased some red handled flush cutting, side cutters. They did a great job on coax, until I cut some RG59 with a copper coated, steel core center conductor. Each cut left a notch in the jaws. They are apparently mild steel.

Of course, cheap tools of poor quality have been around for decades. You see them in bargain kits that used to be advertized on TV 30 or 40 years ago. Grocery stores, department store have them in bubble packs at the end of aisles. Even hardware and big box stores now carry them. Find a clerk that knows his/her stuff and tell them you want good tools.

OTOH some of today's quality tools started out as the cheap stuff, but put their act together as they learned many quickly learn what's good and what's not. That's why the are so popular as space fillers in department and even grocery stores. They have few customer that know the difference and a knowledgeable clerk is rare. Many use them so seldom that disposable tools do work for them.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Rick N6RK