Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:18:51 -0000
Dear OMs,
    I have much to learn.   Surely a dipole or Yagi has a certain maximum
height beyond which not much is to be gained by going higher even for DX -
QST did a study of the optimum height for a Yagi a number of years back.
A wavelength above ground was generally best though of course by going
higher lower angles were favoured and thus perhaps at times more distant DX.
Beyond a certain height though I doubt there is that much gained unless one
switches between antennas or stacks and this is well beyond the nature of
the original question.   Of course we are talking about the HF spectrum.

     I know boom length is important but are you saying that given a long
enough boom that a three element mono-band Yagi would outperform a six
element Monobander on a fifty foot boom.    The additional elements surely
do add some forward gain - some.    I know it may only be one to three dB
and hard to recognize in the QSB.

      The tribanders will of course outperform the dipole in forward gain
and the difference is worthwhile though most of us are more concerned with
the improvements on the receiver side of the equation.

                 73 Doug EI2CN