Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:11:40 -0800
On 2014-11-24 09:26, john@kk9a.com wrote:

Regarding comparing a tribander vs a large monobander, I have tried
comparing various antennas and stacks and I often find the difference very hard to notice on my transceiver's S meter. I think with QSB 2 or 3 dB is
just hard to see, especially if you're not listening to a steady tone.

John KK9A

Another poster writes:

apart. equal length feedlines. tribander on tower1 and a hb 6 el 20m yagi
on the other.  We could not tell the difference between em, while
switching...listening to EU short path.... night after night. he was not
impressed.  F/B and F/S on the monobander was better..and pattern was

I can definitely see a 2 dB or so advantage to my MonstIR vs my 2 element
SteppIR, if I crank down the MonstIR to the same height as the 2 element
SteppIR.

It is tough to watch the S meter and figure this out.  What I like to do
is to turn down the RF gain until there is no AGC action.  It is then
possible to listen to the audio and compare the two antennas.  Upon
inserting a 3 dB pad on the MonstIR side, the audio difference is equalized
for example.  Even with QSB, a step in gain vs time is readily audible.
It is even better if you have dual matched receivers with each ear listening
to its own receiver.  Stereo balance is easily discerned.  I believe
this can be done with a K3.

High end audio fanatics like to point out that the ear can detect very
small differences in audio level and go to great lengths to match levels
with A/B'ing speakers or other audio components. They claim that mismatches
that seem too small to detect nevertheless make the louder component
"sound better". Anything from high end audio should be taken with a large
grain of salt, but sometimes they do have a point.

Rick N6RK