Re: [TowerTalk] cell phone antenna on ham tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] cell phone antenna on ham tower?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 11:18:23 -0700

The FCC does not necessarily agree with you, and in my case, neither does the local zoning commission.

In some cases, an existing ham radio tower is the only way that residents in the area are going to get decent broadband internet access. DSL and satellite internet are marginal services, and many semi-rural areas don't have the population to justify an ISP putting up their own tower.

And in general, the FCC has for some time been encouraging local jurisdictions to make use of existing towers (including amateur radio towers) instead of proliferating additional ones.

Whether or not the commercial use of the tower infringes on your ham radio rights is a function of how you write the applicable contract(s). Just because you decided to decline doesn't mean that everyone should. As with most things, "it depends" holds true.

Dave   AB7E