Re: [TowerTalk] Legs of a 60' piece of tower being dragged while being l

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Legs of a 60' piece of tower being dragged while being lifted
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 07:23:21 -0700
Perhaps a non-issue for your situation, but for me it wasn't. 20' to 60' sections of Rohn 65 with K0XG rings weighed in between 600# and 1800#.

A free body drawing shows the problem. A crane cable hook is a pivot point, virtually no resistance to torque. Same with slings. The tower section(s) being lifted have a center of gravity somewhere along its length. Where depends on what other than a plain tower section is the section. With two rings on some sections, I could find the balance point only by trial and error, ie single sling on a leg until it balanced.

The further the center of gravity is from the hook at the top, the larger the moment is on the section, trying to swing it under the hook point. So even if the crane op swings the boom tip directly above the tower top as he lifts, there is still that moment. Perhaps by swinging the boom tip further towards the section base a force can be added to cancel what gravity is doing. However, that offset will be different if the sections are different re their center of gravity. The geometry of boom tip vs hook position also varies as the boom is swung, so the boom top height would need to change. This could be pretty difficult to pull off.

Rings on towers really complicate the lifts since the tower section needs to be assembled on the ground, off the ground on heavy duty supports, not HD or HF saw horses. My 4400# capacity fork lift with a boom extension could not lift some single sections to vertical for testing mounted rings, so I rented a 8,000# shooting boom fork lift. My regular forklift was used to manage the bottom of the sections as they swung. So as soon as the lift starts, the section swing force wants to tip over the far support. To avoid that the section was first suspended with slings off the supports at both ends. We got this done slowly and carefully since the shooting boom fork position (lifting and extending at the same time to keep the forks over the section top) and forklift motion needs to be in sync. Once vertical the lower slings were removed and the section set vertically with the shooting boom, but with some tension as a safety support. After the rings were tested (can only do this with the section vertical), the process was reversed to place the section back on the supports. Not a "no sweat" process.

The sure/safe way to go for larger towers is to keep the boom tip as directly over the section top as possible and rig for the base to swing or drag.

Grant KZ1W