Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Roger \(K8RI\) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 17:47:55 -0800
Surely the Henry 8K has not been forgotten already? Made In America!!!!

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Roger (K8RI) on TT Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:39 PM To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun Not long ago, it was easy to import some serious amps as long as that manufacturer didn't have a US outlet. The Emtron DX-2sp loafs along at the legal limit. It is quite capable of putting out 2500 PEP, but it takes that kind of overhead to run 1500 out on digital. Tuned properly, it puts out a very clean, legal limit signal. There were amps with a pair of the same tubes, and another with a 4CX5000 (3 phase PS). Run at 1500 out at 100% duty cycle and the push pull cooling goes into high gear and it is loud in a small room, neglecting the heat it puts out. Add some compression while running 1500 PEP out and that amp goes into, high blower.

Two large computers, plus my old 76A would drive me out of this room in the summer. The CPUs use 200 watts, give or take with one at 220W under full load. The video cards take 300W, so I'm looking at roughly 600W ea for 2 computers plus the heat from the FT5000MP and the amp.

That's 2500 At a 20% duty cycle, or only 625 W average with the DX-2sp.
Many home brew amps use tubes with handles. Manual tune and relatively inexpensive compared to Eimac 8877s. I have a 4CX3000 and a couple of sockets that I'll probably never finish.. New and complete sockets for that tube are definitely not cheap at $1600! Running the legal limit, that tube could probably be cooled with a muffin fan.

The drawback? Many of these tubes take more power to light the fire, than the average station runs. Add to that, the connectors, coax, and antennas we use are not rated for a lot more than the legal limit. Oh! Those amps are not only loud on-the-air, they are loud in the shack, often necessitating a remote location for the amp You can modify amps, and RF generators that weren't designed specifically for ham radio, regardless of their designed power, or gain as well We are well past needing the gain limitations that were designed to keep ham amps out of CB hands.

The 3CX3000A7 can put out a very clean signal. Cleaner than most SS rigs, but if memory serves as in IIRC, that tube is 10" tall and weighs close to 9#? Not exactly the basis for a compact amp.

With the new transistors, pre distortion, and cleaner rigs SS legal limit plus amps will soon be common place...for those who can afford them. For now, they exist, but in the experimenter/home brew crowd.

73, Roger (K8RI)