Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 00:50:22 -0500
I just noticed the following post on the amps list where Jay does a good job
of explaining the Array Solutions 10KW+ balun ad:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Amps/2017-02/msg00127.html

John KK9A

To:     Wes Stewart
From:   "ve4xt
Date:   Fri, 17 Feb 2017 07:40:42 -0600

I've been trying to divine a defense for this box, but can't.

If I read K9YC's choke cookbook correctly, there's no way this could achieve

the level of broadband choking claimed. Moreover, not only is there no need
enclose such a device in so expensive an enclosure, it would compromise
power
handling. And if you did, how do you mount it at the only place it does any
good?

When it appears the best-performing choke in Jim's cookbook is nothing more
than a frequency-specific number of turns of coax through, at most, $50 in
ferrite cores, with no bulky enclosure, I just can't see why anyone would
pay
$900 for this.

Also, if the photo is akin to an "exemplar" piece of furniture, and the box
is
built to custom specifications, then the quoted specifications are
meaningless
anyway.

BTW, isn't the attenuation noted (called return loss) the only way any choke

actually chokes?

I think Array Solutions has some 'splainin to do!

Then again, PT Barnum has never been proved wrong.

73, kelly, ve4xt