[TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 09:09:59 -0800
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:44:50 -0700
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

Maybe so, I could be wrong.  But my experience has been with RG142 which I had
bunch of at one time.  In the AZ sunshine the jacket cracked and I had a mess
of
tarnished silver on my hands.  And if you pigtail this stuff and try to seal
it,
nothing wants to stick.

(In my location where I run cable on the ground instead of digging trenches in
the desert that will show for 100 years, I have a choice of rattlesnakes or
pack
rats.  I try to leave the snakes alone to keep the rats down, but when they
come
into the garage, they have to go and we have a rat problem.  I tried cats, but
the coyotes and owls like them.  So it's Heliax to the rescue.)

> And when you criticize the enclosure and believe it is unnecessary, you're
> wrong; the outer jacket on that coax would last about 15 minutes out in the
> weather.
>
> Wes  N7WS
>
> ##  are u sure about that ?   FEP-9 is what is used on the outer jacket of
> RG-393.
> Its supposed to be impervious to extremes in heat, cold, UV, sunlight, and
> everything else
> you can throw at it.
>
> Jim  VE7RF

####   Both 142 and also 393 use the same FEP-9 outer jacket.  I found  only
one site that stated
FEP-9  could be used outdoors.    All the other sites mention nothing about
outdoor use.
I have an application  where some short lengths of 393 will have to be used
outdoors. I think
to be safe,  I will  wrap the entire length with some  33  or 88 tape first.
Then UV should not
be an issue.  That or some of that split loom plastic stuff.

Jim  VE7RF