Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 14:27:12 -0500
My C3i antennas: 50, 144, and 440 MHz all use a coax that looks like the coax described. I don't know the designation of this coax, but it has stood up well to the environment that appears hostile. What ever, exposed solder just seems to dissolve away, but the coax itself stands up well. PTFE, (Teflon^tm ) is "normally" a white compound with a wax like feel.

As, Jim says, this coax is manufactured by quite a few firms in different countries. There is no guarantee that the jacket is PTFE. It certainly isn't if it fails when exposed to the weather. RG-400 looks the same and is also expensive, but it stands up well. I don't think its jacket it PTFE.

If we pay a premium price for coax and it fails (is not constructed according to specs), I think it's time to complain to the seller and/or the manufacturer/importer.

73, Roger (K8RI)