Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What am I missing....balun
From: Howard Hoyt <hhoyt@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 13:18:14 -0500
Hi all,

I know Jay Terleski and Array Solutions and like Gary - K9RX I agree AS's products are not cheap but they are well built, and I have not yet heard them called a scam outfit. AS does serve hams, but is largely a commercial communications supplier, and as a broadcast engineer I appreciate their expertise. As some have rightly noted, this is called a custom and I always dislike idle speculation, especially when it is demeaning to a company. So I talked to Jay and asked what the deal was with this device and this was his reply:
Here is the real story, maybe you can post it.

As I told the AMPS reflector as follows:

What your missing Jim is this is a Balun for the band below 10m 8o) Where the real amplifiers are used.

We sell a few of these a year to these big amp enthusiasts, and I am many times impressed with their knowledge of what it takes to run and maintain these amplifiers. Some guys even have 3 phase running into their basements where they have a large power plant. We build these with EIA flanges too. Also some agencies buy our bigger baluns for their applications. We usually consult with them to get the best performance from the custom baluns for their frequency range.

Thanks for asking.

Jay, WX0B

Since each is custom, and they work with the customer to get the desired performance from a specific unit, the unit pictured may have been a custom for a sub-10M customer. Leaving aside the ethical issue of 11M operation, and not having swept a balun like this myself, maybe someone could shed some light on the problem here if indeed this was designed for that usage?

Cheers & 73,
Howie - WA4PSC