Re: [TowerTalk] March QST cover

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] March QST cover
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 06:58:12 -0800
On 2/27/17 6:27 AM, Mike Ricketts wrote:
This topic came up on Reddit right after the digital issue came out.

A couple of quick points.

1. The photo was apparently supplied by the Eldorado Space Program
(Eldorado, TX), which is a school program at the high school. (
https://goo.gl/wx9OIM) So it seems the league had little/nothing to do with
the taking of the picture. They probably should have known better than to
use it though.

2. The following quote also came out in the discussion, I am unable however
to find the post on Facebook however to verify.

"Concerning the March QST cover image, this was one of those unfortunate
situations that occurs occasionally in publishing where many eyes on the
publishing team look at an image, but none notice the flaws. The QST staff
will learn from this mistake and we will be more diligent about cover
photography in the future." – Steve Ford, WB8IMY, QST (Facebook post)

I see this as in the same bucket as Field Day pictures with a mobile 2m rig putting out 50W into a whip antenna on the picnic table next to the operator. The picture is trying to convey a big idea, but illustrates some dangerous practices. Each time it happens, we poke at the league, and they gradually get better.

The picture used was just too attractive: youth(!), female (!), technology(!)

And at least she's wearing head protection and a harness. 20-30 years ago, it would have been someone hanging onto a unguyed 60 foot stick of R25 with one elbow around the tower, while using a tool in the other hand to twist the guy wire onto the tower, and wearing a baseball cap and flip-flops.