Re: [TowerTalk] Buried conduit pull rope

To: Thomas Noel <tnoel@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried conduit pull rope
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:34:56 -0400
Just as a point of information, stainless steel has a significantly higher resistivity vs copper: roughly 43 times as much. I one time lived in a garden apartment and put up a stealth random wire. I used SS squidding line for strength, and since it was #26, it was practically invisible from the ground. It worked pretty well for years. However, I recommended the same stuff to a friend and he put up a very long random wire with the same line, and he didn't get out at all. I subsequently learned that SS was substantially less conductive than copper. Consequently, much of his power was consumed in resistive losses. Of course, the same is true for thermal conductivity. That's why many cooks prefer cast iron frying pans and other cookware to SS.

73, Joe
K2XX

Thomas Noel <mailto:tnoel@mac.com>
Monday, August 28, 2017 5:59 PM
Jon,
I had never heard of Muletape and Googled it, and discovered the Detectible version with embedded wire. I have built <100W antennas with the cattle control version in 1/2" size. It has fine stainless steel wire rather than tinned copper. There are a lot of accessories for the farm tape such as clamps that connect all the wires at once and have an eye for rigging. I think 4 paralleled 22ga conductors would handle 100W with ease, and the insulated wire would lessen the worry of running over tree limbs. Agree with twisting 1 twist per foot to reduce sailing in wind, just as is often done with window line.

Tom
KF7RSF

Sent from my iPhone

Monday, August 28, 2017 4:17 PM
Not sure how much power it could handle, I would also twist it so it
doesn't flap around in the wind as much.

Monday, August 28, 2017 4:03 PM
Has anyone ever used the Muletape Quad Detectible as antenna wire?

Has 4 22 ga tinned copper insulated wires embedded, so much like electric control fencing but insulated. 4 parallel wires in a 1/2” tape with 1250# breaking strength with the 4 wires bonded seems like a strong lightweight self-supporting conductor for a long dipole or end-fed. Cheap at $80 for a 3000’ roll.

Polyester has excellent UV resistance. No idea what the abrasion resistance would be like, but it is designed to be tied in knots and to be dragged through ductwork and conduit.

Thomas W Noel
KF7RSF