Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu contol box?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu contol box?
From: Grant Hopper <kb7wsd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 11:47:46 -0700
There is one "gotcha" to all this.  In 2019, Yaesu changed to using DC on
the rotors.   From DX-Engineering "  Instead of the usual AC motor drive
used in older rotator designs, the G-2800DXA, G-1000DXA and G-800DXA use a
variable-voltage DC motor, removing the need for a large starting capacitor
with its potential for failure exposed to outside temperature variations.
"  The 450 and the 5500 are the same way.

There might be an easy way to determine the AC vs DC upon inspection.  I
haven't looked at all the manuals to confirm this but at least with the
450, it uses only four wires for DC types.  Otherwise, some of the models
are stamped with a "DC" after the model number eg. " For clarity, the new
DC rotator motors are marked "G-450DC" at the connector. The rear panel of
the controller is titled "G-450ADC" on the serial number label."

73,
Grant
KB7WSD