Re: [TowerTalk] measuring old coax, return loss ?

To: reflector Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring old coax, return loss ?
From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 11:06:10 -0700
Note that the return loss measurement should be made with an open, short or non-dissipative reactive load, not a dummy load.

Dave, W6NL/HC8L

On 5/8/24 10:15 AM, David Hachadorian wrote:
I use an SWR meter or antenna analyzer connected to the unterminated coax.  Tune the analyzer to the upper end of its frequency range, e.g. 30 or 50 MHz.

Loss = 10 Log ((SWR+1)/(SWR-1))

After determining the loss in the OLD cable, you can look up the loss in the equivalent length of NEW cable, and decide whether you can live with the difference.

This method can even be used with an antenna connected at the far end. Just tune the analyzer for maximum SWR in the 20-50 MHz frequency range and do the calculation at that frequency.  By doing the measurement at the frequency of max SWR, the antenna is essentially disconnected.  By using the analyzer at the upper end of its frequency range, inaccuracy in the measurement of high values of SWR are minimized.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ