Re: [TowerTalk] measuring old coax, return loss ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring old coax, return loss ?
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 20:39:39 -0700
Dave,

Without wading through the operation manual of your instrument I'm going to speak in generalities.  Generally when measuring something like a cable or attenuator, it's nice to be able to measure at both ends of the device under test (DUT).  A two-port measuring system like the DG9SAQ VNWA that I have does just that. Port 1 of the device outputs a signal that goes into the DUT and Port 2 measures the signal that comes out the other end.  Before dong the measurement, the VNWA is calibrated by placing a short circuit between Port 1 and Port 2. This condition is defined as zero loss.  It's a little more complicated than that but it demonstrates the concept.

Now what if your measurement device can only measure one port? Using a direction coupler or bridge, one port can serve two purposes, it can supply a signal in one direction and measure a signal coming from the other direction. All of the SWR measuring devices built into most modern radios do just that.  They measure the power (or voltage) going into the load and measure the power (or voltage) returning from the load.  Using some math they present SWR, forward and/or reflected power or return loss.  All of these labels are just different ways to express the same thing.

Now, if you want to know the attenuation of a cable connected to your radio or the test port on an analyzer you can't just terminate the cable with a dummy load and measure the ratio of forward to reflected power, since with a good load, there isn't any reflected power to measure.  Even with a so-so load, most of the incident (forward) power is absorbed in the load and what is reflected will give an inaccurate ratio.  What we need is a load that reflects 100% of the power back to the source.  There are only a few loads that do this, an open or a short are the usual suspects.

Now what happens (in simple terms) is that the source sends a signal down the line. On the way to the load the signal suffers loss, so not all of it gets to the load.  Let's say for demonstration purposes that only one-half of the source power makes it to the load.  At the load, that one-half is totally reflected and heads back to the source.  On the way it suffers the same loss in the other direction so only one-quarter of the original power made it back to the source.  That's a total return loss of 6 dB, but the loss is due to two trips through the cable, so the one-way loss is 3 dB. That is the cable loss.

In the real world when better accuracy is required a lot of error sources come into play.  For instance that directional coupler isn't perfect.  There is always unwanted leakage signals between ports.  It's also assumed that the source doesn't re-reflect power returning from the highly reflective load.  That's not true either.  There are more weeds but I'll leave it at that.

Wes  N7WS