Re: [TowerTalk] measuring old coax, return loss ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring old coax, return loss ?
From: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2024 20:23:55 -0500
In my opinion, DTF (distance to fault) measuring the return loss is a much more informative measurement. You can see the bad spots in the coax, were they dont make specs. You cant do that with just a return loss measurement.

We (Motorola System Technologists) did both, but the DTF RL was much more useful. You could see where the ground kits were installed along the Heliax, and you could also see where the Heliax had banged against the tower when it was being raised up, and being unrolled from the reel, or where the cable was bent to sharply.

There is a specification for Return Loss along the entire length of the cable. If it did not meet spec, the cable was usually replaced at the tower crews expense.

https://dl.cdn-anritsu.com/en-us/test-measurement/files/Technical-Notes/White-Paper/11410-00899C.pdf

*AVA5-50A Return Loss spec:*

AVA5-50A was MUCH EASIER to damage than LDF-4.

And yes, I have swept a 200' piece of used LDF4, and removed a dent in the cable, and you could watch the Return Loss get better.

73, Jim W7RY