[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:07 2003
This is a very good point.  It is how I got started in
weak signal operating on VHF-by making some tropo
contacts on 2 meter FM simplex, and realizing that 2
meters was more than talking with the same 6 guys on
the repeater.  We need to promote VHF weak signal more
to technicians, as it is a great way to keep their
interest in the hobby.  After all, how many give up
because they lose interest in repeater operating after
awhile.  Getting them on simplex is one way to get
this interest started.  And it keeps with the ARRL
tradition of promoting 2 meter FM at the expense of
everything else.

Here in Lawton, OK we made a special effort in the Jan
contest to get ops on 2 meter FM simplex if that was
all they had-including making special club
certificates for all who made contacts during the
contest period.  We promoted this activity at club
meetings, on the air, during the nets, at the weekly
saturday breakfast gatherings, and it worked.  We
about tripled the number of logs that were sent in
from this area, and succeeded in getting a couple of
techs in the area interested in weak signal operating.

73s John NE0P