[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds
From: tree@kkn.net (Larry Tree Tyree N6TR)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:07 2003
> But we digress I think. I think it's keeping the activity up that's the most
> important thing. Log submissions are going down each year. Rovers gave VHF
> contests a shot in the arm, but basically things are slowing down. If making
> skeds helps keep interest up and activity up and is done within the
> framework of the rules, I still don't see a problem with it. I operate each
> June and September at the K1WHS unlimited multiop in southern Maine. We have
> ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of ever catching W2SZ/1 who is in the same category and
> in a better geographical location and lots higher. So, we really only are
> competing with ourselves each year. That being said, we don't really care if
> our competition makes skeds.. What the heck, we just want to squeeze the
> best we can out of the station and have some fun..

Agree about the challenge of increasing activity...  but even though the
log submission might be down, I am pretty bullish about activity levels.

True, the demographics are working against us, but I still think there are
a lot of new people discovering the 50, 144 and 432 positions on their new
radios.  I was stunned to work 45 QSOs on 432 from my QTH in Oregon.  Since
then, our club has put up a beacon to hopefully encourage more activity
(K7RAT on 432.313 in CN85ss).

I think the use of different antenna configurations to pull in the guys you
can move to other bands is an important consideration for the VHF contester.
Last year, I did this on six meters with three antennas and a stack-match.
This year, I will try it more on two meters (now that I have some power).
I think this will be a much more effective way to lure in those guys who
you can move to the other bands.

Sorry about W2SZ being in the "same category" as you...

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net