[VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig
From: kb1grs@joelweber.org (Joel N. Weber II)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:34 2003
It's not clear that a rig with all the features you describe would end
up being the most cost-effective solution for a multiop station, since
multiop stations frequently want a single radio for each band, perhaps
with all the microwave bands lumped together in one operating
position.

One question that comes to mind is what product can someone produce
that will actually have enough potential buyers.  The rig you describe
sounds to me like it might possibly find 50 interested customers,
which might not justify engineering effort to produce it (unless
someone wants to make it as a kit as a labor of love or something).

A problem with a rig that has microwave bands built in is that for
most permanent station installations, feedline loss at microwaves is
problematic.  It's not uncommon to want to put the transverter next to
the antennas on the higher bands (some stations do this starting at
the uhf bands; I think w2sz has their 222 downconverter mounted on
their antenna mast, for example).  However, this may not be so much of
an issue for rovers, where the feedlines tend to be shorter.