[VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:35 2003
Bingo! - Now where can I start buying this stuff??

Now before the naysayers start talking about poor RF
performance because this concept would use <gasp> -
computers, I want to stress this technology is in
addition to, not instead of good RF design practices.
The two need not be mutually exclusive! And there
would be no reason not to have traditional radio
panels as options that interface to the same network,
- so you can have it both ways.

I would however lean toward sticking to generic
Ethernet for everything, either copper (in the shack),
or glass for those tower mounted microwave bands.

Modules for 10 and 2 Meters would allow everyone
already using high performance transverters a way to
quickly adopt this technology without having to scrap
their entire existing station and starting over.

Also it must be acknowledged that we as weak signal
types will always be pressing the limits of A to D
technology in terms of S/N ratio and accuracy as well
as dynamic range. This is true irregardless of the
actualmodes we use.

Duane
N9DG