[VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig
From: k1whs@worldpath.net (David Olean)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:34 2003
Hi guys,
    I would echo Bob's (N5NJ) statement.  In all these ideal rig postings, I
see no mention of dynamic range and phase noise considerations. I guess if
you live in the booonies and use a small low antenna, then dynamic range is
not an issue. In other areas it is the most important issue. I am at the
point now of degrading my sensitivity to allow the receiver to not be
crunched by out of band signals on several VHF and low microwave bands. I am
using high dynamic range receivers, and high current GaAsFET frontends etc.
The in band crunching problem was easily solved with crunchproof radios.
Those out of band signals are much stronger and can wreak havoc on a system.
    I think that these DC to light radios that do everything will most
assuredly not appeal to many serious operators, since they are not easily
reconfigured to optimize working conditions on each band.  Multi op stations
have much more stringent requirements than single op stations. Rover
stations also need bulletproof radios if they are hilltopping near
commercial sites etc.  A single "box" radio makes this a much harder job!
    I can see how the "Do All" radio will appeal to a certain segment of the
VHF hobby, but it isn't a large group. The downside for a manufacturer is
that many un initiated hams may buy one of these multi kilobuck radios and
have intermod or front end blocking problems then write a review on the
internet and "can" the radio.  So the perfect radio is only perfect in one
situation. Change a parameter and the radio system must change to accomodate
those changes. That is a tall order to fill for any manufacturer.  Our RF
environment is quite harsh these days!
    I have to go back now and work on my 222 setup where CH13, CH 11 and CH8
are all line of sight and running 316KW erp. I need to figure out how to
hear anything on that band without losing 3/4 dB through a big external
filter.

73
Dave K1WHS