Re: [VHFcontesting] The Informal FD VHF+ Challenge - An Idea

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The Informal FD VHF+ Challenge - An Idea
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:50:20 -0700 (PDT)
Well some lively discusion about all this. Since this thread
forked in several different directions I decided to just
expand on and clarify the original post. I'll address a few
questions and comments raised.

1. Why include grids?
a) grids are fundemental to VHF operating, encourages their
use for this particular experiment.
b) Here in  the upper midwest it seems that for most of the
6&2M SSB Q's made for FD we are already exchanging grids even
though the FD rules don't require it. This has always been
the case around here. In any case it would not be critical
information for the puposes of this challenge. If you don't
have grids for all the Q's don't worry about it.

2. Scoring - I made no attempt to plan any kind of scoring
mechanism for this at all. The idea being that a few weeks
after after FD you can direct you buddies to the archive for
this email reflector to peruse all the postings by the
various FD groups around the country. They could then look at
the numbers of Q's and states/sections and grids that the
participants worked during FD all around the country.
Hopefully they will be able to see what kinds of distances
can be routinely worked on VHF plus, you know the stuff
that's well beyond "line of sight".

3. Since the groups or individuals participating in this
won't necessarily be the usual groups who participate the
main VHF contests it should provide broader exposure of VHF
contesting to everyone. In fact it's quite likely that
members of some of the regular VHF contest groups will be
participating with several different local clubs instead of
their normal VHF contesting only group.

4. This is by design meant to be very casual, very much like
many FD operations already are. So again its more about
exposing VHF contesting to those who may not be aware of it
rather than this being another typical VHF contest that we
here are all already familiar with.

Duane
N9DG